Certified Humane Eggs
Certified Humane® is a program of Humane Farm Animal Care, a nonprofit organization whose mission is to improve animal welfare. It’s widely known as the “gold standard” of farm animal care certification.
Free range and pasture raised eggs are both Certified Humane. Our Certified Humane® egg labels show our free range farms meet all HFAC’s rigorous standards and regularly pass their thorough inspection processes. In fact, we try to do even better than their standards!
The Certified Humane® Free Range label assures you that our hens will always have:
- Ample space and shelter, in clean, well-ventilated barns.
- Gentle handling to limit stress.
- Freedom to do what comes naturally, like roosting, scratching, and “dust bathing.”
- Ready access to safe-from-predators fenced in pasture.
- Nutritious, high-quality feed free of antibiotics or hormones.
- Fresh, pure water whenever they want it.
Don’t be fooled. Organic egg cartons can carry all kinds of labels or language that sound like they’re following humane guidelines. But since the term “humane” isn’t standardized, you could be buying organic eggs produced in less-than-compassionate ways.
Instead, choose Certified Humane eggs that meet standards of a certifying agency whose rules have “real teeth.”
The Certified Humane Raised and Handled label guarantees that we believe in the welfare of our organic, free range hens.
To learn more about the Certified Humane Program, check out their website at www.certifiedhumane.com.