Black Bean Fiesta Bowls
When it comes to lunch, you want something delicious, satisfying, and quick to make. These bowls, with a filling trifecta of eggs, quinoa, and black beans, fit the bill.
For the bowls:
4 cups cooked quinoa (see notes)
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
4 large Pete and Gerry’s Organic Eggs
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon lime zest
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 avocado, quartered
4 radishes, thinly sliced
For the dressing:
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice, divided
1 teaspoon honey
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, plus whole cilantro leaves to garnish
To make the quinoa:
- Bring 1 cup uncooked rinsed quinoa, 1 3/4 cups of water, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 17 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let it stand for 5 minutes. Remove the lid and fluff with a fork.
To make the bowls:
- Place eggs in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring the water to a rapid boil. After the water is rapidly boiling, turn off heat and let stand for 13 minutes.
- Remove eggs and transfer to a bowl of ice water, cool for about 10 minutes, then peel and cut into quarters.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil with the garlic in a large skillet over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes until softened. Stir in the black beans, cumin, lime zest, and 1/2 cup of water. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally and crushing the beans lightly as you stir, for 8 minutes until the bean mixture is thickened and liquid reduced. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside to cool.
To make the dressing:
- Whisk together 2 tablespoons of lime juice, honey, mustard, and the remaining 4 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add the minced cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste.
To assemble the bowls:
- Divide the quinoa among 4 resealable containers and add the bean and onion mixture to each.
- Sprinkle the avocado quarters with the remaining 1 teaspoon lime juice and divide among the containers along with the radishes and cilantro leaves.
- Reserve the dressing (about 2 tablespoons per serving) on the side until ready to serve.