Looking for a low-key, but still totally delicious and nutritious start to your morning? This simple Green Shakshuka dish is just for you! Our thanks to our friends at Spoon Fork Bacon for this festive recipe.
3 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 pound spinach
1 shallot, minced
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
5 Pete and Gerry’s Organic Eggs
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco, divided
1/2 avocado, thinly sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
Micro cilantro or more cilantro leaves for garnish
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon oil. Add spinach and sauté until wilted, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer to a colander and drain excess water by pressing into the spinach with the back of a wooden spoon (squeezing out with your hands if needed). Set aside.
- Place skillet back over heat and add 1 1/2 tablespoons oil. Add shallots and garlic and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Add cumin and coriander, continue to sauté for 1 to 2 minutes and season with salt and pepper.
- Add spinach back to skillet and lightly season with salt and pepper. Sauté for 1 minute. Stir in cilantro.
- Transfer half of the mixture to a food processor and purée with remaining 1 tablespoon oil, until mixture is smooth. Pour purée back into the skillet and stir to combine. Spread mixture into an even layer, then create 5 wells in the spinach mixture.
- Carefully crack an egg into each well and cook mixture for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour water around the edge of the skillet and cover for about 2 minutes, allowing the mixture to steam and the egg whites to set.
- Remove lid and sprinkle with half of cheese. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Remove shakshuka from stove and lightly season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Finish with sliced avocado and more cilantro.
- Serve immediately with toasted baguette or pita.