Gwen Jorgensen’s Spanish Tortilla de Patatas
This tortilla de patatas is a meal that gold medalist Gwen Jorgensen and her husband Pat grew to love while living in the Basque region of Spain in Vitoria-Gasteiz. They were lucky enough to learn how to cook it by a local chef and take great pride in doing their best to recreate this dish while at home.
7 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 medium-size russet potato, peeled and diced into 1/4-inch cubes (about 1 cup)
1 medium-size yellow onion, diced
4 large Pete and Gerry’s Organic Eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil with 4 tablespoons of the olive oil.
- Add cubed potatoes to boiling water. Cook for 10 minutes, until tender when pierced with a fork, but still firm. Drain the cooked potatoes.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering, then add onions and cook for 10 minutes, or until very soft.
- Transfer the cooked onions to a bowl and wipe the skillet clean. Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet over medium-low heat.
- Whisk together the eggs and salt. Transfer the onions and potatoes back into the skillet, then pour the eggs over the ingredients, stirring gently to combine. Cook the eggs 3 to 5 minutes, until set. Cover with a lid to speed up the cooking process. The eggs will be a bit runny on top.
- Test the tortilla with a rubber spatula to make sure it will slide from the skillet. Flip the tortilla by turning it onto a plate, re-oil the skillet, and slide the tortilla back into the skillet and cook the other side 1 to 3 more minutes. Flip the tortilla onto a clean dinner plate and serve warm or at room temperature.