Sunny organic eggs with gorgeous golden yolks on warm, toasty tortillas bathed in salsa? Yes! Huevos Rancheros is a classic breakfast dish that’s hearty and healthy, and so good you’ll want to eat it for lunch and dinner, too. Our thanks to The Delicious Life for this recipe.
2 tablespoons grapeseed or other neutral-flavored cooking oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 large tomatoes, chopped, plus any juices on cutting board
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 6-inch tortillas
1 cup black beans, lightly mashed with a fork
4 large Pete and Gerry’s Organic Eggs, sunny side up
1 avocado, thinly sliced
1/4 cup queso fresco
Optional garnishes: fresh or pickled jalapeños, fresh chopped cilantro, pickled onions
Make the salsa:
- Heat grapeseed oil in pan with high sides over medium heat. Add onions and cook until onions are soft.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes, along with any juice from the cutting board.
- Stir, bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer until tomatoes are soft, about 20 minutes. Season with salt.
Assemble the huevos rancheros:
- Toast tortillas until crisp and browned in a toaster or toaster oven on high (if you don’t have a toaster/toaster oven, you can “toast” tortillas in a hot cast iron skillet or other frying pan over high heat).
- Place 2 tortillas per serving on serving plates.
- Spread black beans over tortillas. Spoon cooked salsa over black beans.
- Slip sunny side up eggs over salsa, then top eggs with avocado slices, queso fresco, and garnishes. Serve with additional salsa and optional garnishes on the side