Low-Carb Steak & Eggs Fajita Bowl
4 large Pete and Gerry’s Organic Eggs
1 1/4 pounds flank steak or London Broil*
½ cup fresh lime juice
3 large limes; 1 quartered, 2 juiced (about ½ cup)
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 medium yellow onion, halved and sliced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced thinly
1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
5 ounces baby Romaine lettuce
1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
4 resealable containers or 4 pint-sized Mason jars
*Although flank steak is the best cut to use, London Broil is more economical and a fine choice as well.
- Wash and dry the fresh produce.
- Place the eggs in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring the water to a rapid boil. After the water is rapidly boiling, turn off heat and let stand for 13 minutes.
- Remove the eggs and transfer them to a bowl of ice water, cool for about 10 minutes, then peel. Slice the eggs in half, then crumble by smashing into small pieces with a fork.
- Prepare the steak by first seasoning it generously with salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Pour in 1/4 cup of lime juice, turning the steak to coat thoroughly.
- In a heavy-bottomed 12-inch skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium-high until simmering. Set the steak in the pan and cook undisturbed for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium, flip the steak, and allow to cook for another 3-5 minutes, until brown.
- Transfer the steak to a fresh plate, then pour the remaining lime juice over it. Tent loosely with aluminum foil and let rest for about 10 minutes.
- While the steak is resting, cook the veggies. Clean the skillet and add 1 tablespoon olive oil, heating on medium until simmering. Add the sliced yellow onion with a pinch of salt. Cook for about 5 minutes, then add the garlic, sliced red bell pepper, and corn with another pinch of salt and pepper. Continue to cook until softened for about 3 more minutes. After the veggies have finished cooking, set them aside on a plate to cool completely.
- Gather the 4 resealable containers. Slice the steak into thin strips and place into containers. Dress with sides of cooled veggies, crumbled eggs, lettuce, and lime wedges. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro.
- Refrigerate and enjoy for up to 4 days.