Sweet Potato Hash with Kale and Bacon
You’ll love this breakfast “hash-up,” featuring bacon and kale. This recipe comes to us from Reclaiming Yesterday, a member of The Good Eggs ambassador program.
1 or 2 strips thick cut bacon, sliced into small pieces (I used 1.5 strips)
1.5 cups sweet potato, peeled and cut into small cubes (about 1 cm)
1 large handful of chopped kale, stems removed
1 Pete and Gerry’s Organic Egg
Dash of garlic powder
Dash of chili powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Additional cooking oil if needed
Chopped green onion
Chili flakes (optional)
- Heat a small pan (preferably cast iron) over medium-high heat. Add the bacon pieces and allow to cook until fat is rendered and bacon is crisp. Remove cooked bacon from pan and reserve, leaving the grease in the pan.
- Add the sweet potatoes to the pan along with a pinch of salt. Cook for 4 minutes until they begin to soften and add in the chopped kale, garlic powder, chili powder, and black pepper.
- Continue to cook, adding more oil if necessary, until sweet potatoes and kale are tender.
- Make a small hole in the center of the hash. Crack the egg into the hole and cover the pan with a lid. Cook until the whites are set and the yolk is still soft.
- Serve with chopped avocado and green onions, if desired.