Low-Carb Rhubarb Coffee Cake
Create the perfect low-carb brunch recipe with organic rhubarb, almond flour, a keto-friendly sweetener, and organic eggs (of course). Thanks to All Day I Dream About Food, a member of The Good Eggs ambassador program, for this recipe.
For the cake:
3 cups rhubarb, sliced
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated erythritol sweetener, divided
3 cups almond flour
1/3 cup unflavored whey protein powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
3 large Pete and Gerry’s Organic Eggs
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the crumb topping:
1/4 cup almond flour
2 tablespoons pecans, finely chopped
1 tablespoon granulated erythritol sweetener
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
To make the cake:
- In a medium bowl, toss together the sliced rhubarb and 2 tablespoons of the sweetener. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a 9-inch springform pan very well.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, remaining 1/2 cup of sweetener, whey protein powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir in the melted butter, eggs, almond milk, and vanilla extract until well combined. Spread 2/3 of the batter in prepared pan. Sprinkle with the rhubarb and dot the remaining batter over in small spoonfuls. Bake 30 minutes.
To make the crumb topping:
- While the cake is baking, combine the crumb topping ingredients in a small bowl, cutting in the room temperature butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle the crumb topping over the cake and cover with foil.
- Bake another 20 to 30 minutes, until the edges are golden brown and the center is firm to the touch. Remove and let cool, then run a sharp knife around the inside of the pan to loosen. Remove the sides.