Veggie and Parmesan Mini Egg Muffins
The only thing better than delicious quiches at brunch? Delicious mini egg muffins! Unlike other deceptively cute foods like mini cupcakes or mini peanut butter cups, these are really good for you. They’re filled with broccoli, garlic, and mushrooms, and don’t forget the protein-rich eggs holding it all together! Our thanks to Keri Glassman, nationally renowned dietitian and healthy living expert, for this recipe.
1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons wheat germ
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
3 Pete and Gerry’s Organic Eggs + 2 egg whites
2 tablespoons 2% or whole milk
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon fresh scallions, finely chopped
1/4 cup Parmesan, grated, plus extra for topping
3/4 cup steamed broccoli, finely chopped
1/2 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Coat a 12-cup nonstick muffin pan with olive oil or coconut spray.
- Combine the wheat germ and flaxseed in a small bowl. Add 1 heaping teaspoon of the mixture to each muffin cup, spreading to coat the bottoms evenly.
- Whisk the eggs, egg whites, milk, and cottage cheese together in a bowl.
- Add the garlic powder, salt and pepper, scallions, and Parmesan cheese to the egg mixture and whisk until combined.
- Divide the broccoli and mushrooms among the muffin cups. Divide egg mixture evenly among muffin cups, filling just to the top.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes on the middle rack in the oven, or until the mini muffins are lightly browned on top and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let them cool in the pan atop a wire rack for 5 to 10 minutes, then use a knife to loosen the edges and remove the mini muffins from the pan. Serve sprinkled with Parmesan cheese if desired.