Caramelized Onion and Gruyére Quiche
If you’re looking for a low-carb brunch, this caramelized onion and gruyére quiche is for you. “It may easily be one of the best keto quiches I have ever made,” -Carolyn of All Day I Dream About Food, a member of The Good Eggs ambassador program.
For the crust:
1 1/2 cups almond flour
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter, melted
For the filling:
1/4 cup butter
1 onion, thinly sliced
4 ounces Gruyére, grated
6 Pete and Gerry’s Organic Eggs
2/3 cup cream
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
To make the crust:
- Preheat the oven to 325F. In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, garlic powder, and salt. Stir in the melted butter until the dough resembles coarse crumbs.
- Turn the loose dough out into a 9-inch glass or ceramic pie pan. Press firmly into the bottom and up the sides. Use a flat-bottomed glass or measuring cup to even out the bottom of the crust.
- Crimp the edges and prick the bottom all over with a fork. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, until slightly puffed and just starting to brown. Remove and let cool while preparing the filling.
To make the filling:
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add the onions and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are soft and caramelized. Do not let them become crispy. This can take up to 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle the crust with the caramelized onions and half of the grated Gruyére cheese.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, salt, and pepper. Pour over the onions and cheese in the crust. Sprinkle the top with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until the filling is just set in the center. Remove and let cool for 15 minutes before serving.